Statement by the Chairman of Crowhurst Parish Council,
Councillor Lisa Siggery, on behalf of the Crowhurst Parish.
It is with great sadness that Crowhurst Parish Council has learned of the death of His Royal Highness, Prince Philip The Duke of Edinburgh. On behalf of Crowhurst Parish we extend our deepest sympathies to Her Majesty The Queen and all members of the Royal Family. Our thoughts are with them at this time.
Flags at St Georges Church and Bowerland Corner will be flown at half-mast until 8am on the morning following the funeral. We politely ask that any other flag flown in the Parish at this time is also lowered for the period.
We understand that residents of the Parish may wish to record their personal thoughts and messages in a Book of Condolence. Due to the current restrictions an online book of condolence has been opened and is available on https://www.royal.uk
During this time the Royal Family have asked that members of the public consider making a donation to charity instead of leaving floral tributes in memory of The Duke of Edinburgh.
During the current corona virus outbreak the Council will not be meeting in person all meetings will be held via zoom and invite details are posted on the website. We will confirm in person meetings when we can. In the meantime correspondence, planning applications and payments will be responded to by the Clerk to the Council in consultation with councillors. Please email the office in the normal way and we respond as soon as possible. The Council has a Covid hardship fund and all applications should be made in confidence to the Clerk.
If you are able to help others or need help please contact the parish watch or the parish council to provide details.
Crowhurst is a civil parish and dispersed village in a rural part of the Tandridge district of Surrey, England. Crowhurst civil parish borders 5 other parishes within the Tandridge District and is just over 24 miles from London, 2.5 miles from Lingfield Village and 3 miles from Oxted Town Centre and Railway Station.
The place-name 'Crowhurst' was first recorded in 1189 and has existed in various forms since this time which have included Croherst and Crauhurste, and simply means 'crow wood'.
Crowhurst, being originally a ‘Wealden parish’, is steeped in farming history, having evolved from a large number of small farms with many labourers to a few large farms with diminishing numbers of employees, as mechanisation and technology improve efficiency. As a consequence housing is widely dispersed and made up of small settlements.
Crowhurst was part of the Oxted estate as recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 and at the time had no development worth reporting. The earliest building recorded is the church which is believed to have been dedicated to St George in 1191. The first reference to Crowhurst was made in 1291 when the parish had developed sufficiently to be taxed 100 shillings as mentioned in a ‘valor’ of King Edward I.